Saturday, October 19, 2013

On Being Travel Savvy

This morning I woke myself up at 5, was taken to the airport by Vince's very kind father, and dropped off at the appropriate check-in area. I then proceeded to navigate the Vienna Airport, get myself on my plane and flew back to Switzerland. I landed in Zurich and then had to find myself a train home, which I did, and arrived safe and sound. I did this entire thing on admittedly extremely low sleep due to a lack of desire to say goodbye to Vince and his friends last night when we all hung out, and as I was walking down the hill home I realized that two months ago, such a feat would have terrified me beyond belief. So now I feel relatively confident that if I learn absolutely nothing else on this journey, I will have at least learned how to get myself around and be independent using foreign public transportation. Don't worry, Mom and Dad, my going away wasn't for naught. I expect a conversation while introducing us kids in the future will go like this:
         Mom and Dad: "These are our three children. The boys are both in college and going to be brilliant engineers and doctors and all that, and our daughter can use public transportation in foreign countries on small amounts of sleep.  We are very proud."

No comments:

Post a Comment